Taken around 1900, this evocative photograph shows a grand townhouse on the Market Place, near Fairland Street, which by 1925 was playing a part in the commercial life of the town as the offices of W.S.Hall and Palmer, noted auctioneers, valuers and estate agents. The firm had relocated from Market Street and became known for its weekly auctions on a saleground, which was situated where the health centre off Bridewell Street is now.
Later the company became Irelands Hall And Palmer and was still at the Market Place offices in the 1980s, but would soon close. For a time a sale still continued on ground off Station Road.
A veterinary practice then took over the imposing building and would remain there until moving to Hethersett nearly 2 years ago, leaving the way for Kett’s Books to move there from Wharton’s Court and, with an army of volunteers and a grant, made a lovely new home for their brilliant community bookshop, which opened last Autumn. The grand townhouse had come a long way from its residential days.